Skip to content - navigation
Welcome to The Hummingbird
Take a deep breath, exhale and let go! So much more than a place to stay . . . Unsurpassed luxury and relaxation . . . Where the only thing we overlook is the river!
A world of wonderful possibilities designed to make you feel right at home, while at the same time , exceeding your every expectation. Reserve a little piece of paradise at the Hummingbird Guesthouse in Port Alberni. Nestled happily on the old Howitt Homestead property, along the banks of the Somass River. Here you will experience mountain panoramas and river views, luxurious accommodations, smile-inducing hospitality and memorable fishing excursions. What are you waiting for?
Exceeding expectations one stay at a time
- Four unique suites, one with a full kitchen and living room
- Heavenly beds & scrumptuous breakfasts
- Gazebo-covered hot tub on spacious backyard deck
- Wireless internet, satellite tv, fully air conditioned
- Games room with pool table, darts and treadmill
- Everything you've dreamed of, nothing you expect
- Elegant upstairs apartment with king bed in seperate bedroom, queen bed in living room alcove and two double hide-a-bed couches
- Gorgeous river view from living room, backyard vista from balcony
- Full kitchen, washer/dryer, bathtub and shower
- Combine with adjoining Eagles Nest for larger groups
- Breakfast not included in room rate, however, can be added for an additional charge
- Cathedral Grove - Home to some of the largest and oldest Douglas Fir's on Vancouver Island.
- Alberni Pacific Railway and McLean Mill National Historic Site - The mill is a National Historic Site and was a family operated saw-milling business until 1965.
- Bears from the Boardwalk - Adventurous black bears like to play across the bay from the harbour side boardwalk, which provides a perfect vantage point for human admirers to catch the bears in action.
- Breath-taking Della Falls (440 m) 1450 ft - accessible only by boat and a 16 km intermediate hike from Great Central Lake.
- Mars Water Bombers - These mighty bombers were built originally for long range missions and patrol for the US Navy.
- The Log Train Trail - The 25 kilometre historic trail epitomizes the “work and play” nature of today’s Alberni Valley forests.
- The Whaling Sculpture - First Nation Tribes have created these beautiful scuplutres that can't be duplicated.
- Stamp Falls - catch the crashing waterfall, the annual migration of the salmon during spawning, picnic on the rocks, wade in the river, hike on the gentle trails
View larger video
“We’d like to thank you for kindly dropping into our website. You’re all invited back again to this locality. . . To have a heaping helping of our hospitality. Y’all come back now, ya hear?”
and extraordinary good luck that we came to stay at the Hummingbird. When Cheryl showed us to our fabulous "apartment", we were astounded and have enjoyed every moment in it. We did drag ourselves away to visit Tofino, Ucluelet and the Pacific Rim National Park where we walked the Rainforest Trail. Back in Port Alberni, we took the steam railway to the sawmill, bringing back memories of school lessons many years ago about logging in Canada. An interesting visit to the Mars Bombers at Sproat Lake, only 15 min from the Hummingbird, and watching salmon swimming up to spawn at Stamp Falls. This is our last week in Canada and it just gets better.
Toll Free 1-888-720-2114
5769 River Road
Port Alberni, Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Reserve a little piece of paradise
at Hummingbird GuestHouse